Members Govern HathiTrust
HathiTrust, as a co-managed and co-funded collaborative of academic and research libraries, relies on its members to govern its programmatic, financial, and strategic directions. Membership established the governance model in 2012 and comprises the Board of Governors and the Program Steering Committee, which operate under the HathiTrust Bylaws. In addition to the formal governing bodies, multiple working, advisory, and task-based groups further enable member libraries to participate in and guide the direction of HathiTrust. Official Member Representatives cast votes on behalf of their libraries during the annual budgeting and board election period and as other needs arise.
Board of Governors
Elected by the membership and composed of a range of institutions, the Board positions the organization to advance the interests of member institutions and other cultural heritage organizations through its oversight.
- Gohar Ashoughian, Wilfrid Laurier University (2023-2025)
- Theresa Byrd, University of San Diego (2022-2024)
- Lisa Carter, University of Michigan (appointed)
- Diane Dallis-Comentale, Indiana University (appointed)
- Mike Furlough (HathiTrust), ex officio
- Anne Houston, Swarthmore College (2022-2023)
- Damon Jaggars, The Ohio State University (appointed)
- Holly Mercer, University of Tennessee, Knoxville (2020-2023)
- Beth Namachchivaya, University of Waterloo (2022-2025)
- Virginia Steel, University of California, Los Angeles (appointed)
- Denise Pan, University of Washington, ex officio, Program Steering Committee Chair
- Claire Stewart, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (appointed)
- Günter Waibel, California Digital Library (appointed)
- Xuemao Wang, Northwestern University (2022-2024)
Program Steering Committee
This active group of members advises the Board of Governors, offers a member perspective, and helps shape initiatives and strategies for Board discussion and decision-making.
- Mohammad AlHamad, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi (2022-2025)
- Emy Decker, University of Alabama (2022-2025)
- Marion Frank-Wilson, Indiana University (2023-2026)
- Alison Hitchens, University of Waterloo (2022-2025)
- Dracine Hodges, Duke University (2021-2024)
- Salwa Ismail, University of California, Berkeley (2023-2026)
- Nerea Llamas, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (2022-2025)
- Nathan Mealey, Wesleyan University (2021-2024)
- Catherine Mitchell, California Digital Library (2021-2024)
- Denise Pan, University of Washington (2020-2022; Chair 2022-2024)
- Mark Paris, Brandeis University (2023-2026)
- Erin Stalberg, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2022-2025)
- Jennifer Vinopal, HathiTrust, Associate Director (Regular Guest)
How We Work
The University of Michigan is the current administrative and legal host of HathiTrust, and all employees of HathiTrust are employees of the University of Michigan. The University executes agreements and contracts for HathiTrust’s activities, and also hosts the preservation infrastructure for the digital content deposited by our members.
We further rely on in-kind or contracted contributions from the California Digital Library, which administers Zephir, our metadata management system; the Indiana University, co-host for the HathiTrust Research Center and host for some technical infrastructure; the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, co-host for the HathiTrust Research Center; and the University of Michigan Library, which provides support for the administration of our technical infrastructure. In total, more than 60 people contribute directly to the operations of HathiTrust, including our full-time staff.
Support for HathiTrust resources and services is provided by the HathiTrust member institutions with funding for the infrastructure coming from annual revenues, which is drawn primarily from annual membership fees. Hardware, software, and services purchased on behalf of HathiTrust by the University of Michigan, or resources created by HathiTrust, are done so on behalf of the members with a commitment to constant sharing and transparency.
Contact our member-led user support team!