As codified in the HathiTrust Bylaws , the Board of Governors bears final responsibility for the activities, functions, and operations for HathiTrust, as well as for the long-term integrity and accessibility of deposited materials. This responsibility includes:
- Defining HathiTrust’s mission, goals, and objectives and helping guide their fulfillment.
- Ensuring the alignment of HathiTrust’s mission, goals, and objectives with those of its member institutions.
- Determining strategic directions for HathiTrust.
- Reviewing recommendations of the Program Steering Committee and making final decisions regarding policy, repository development, and planning initiatives.
- Managing HathiTrust’s budget and finances.
- Electing four officers of a five-member Executive Committee, empowered to act on behalf of the Board as specified below.
- The Board of Governors shall review the formula for determining appointed seats at least every three years.
- Overseeing HathiTrust operations through the selection of a Chief Executive Officer.
- Evaluating the performance of the Chief Executive Officer.
- In coordination with the Chief Executive Officer, creating committees and working groups to carry out HathiTrust’s work and to develop strategies and priorities.
- Overseeing the development, implementation, and ongoing management of the HathiTrust Research Center and other officially affiliated projects.
- Communicating about HathiTrust—including its value, activities, plans, and strategic initiatives—to members, potential members, and other relevant communities.
- Demonstrating leadership among member institutions and in the cultural heritage and higher learning sectors in community-wide efforts to ensure the long-term preservation and availability of the scholarly record.
Full details about the Board's duties, powers, and processes can be found in the Bylaws, available at http://www.hathitrust.org/bylaws .
The Board of Governors is composed of 12 members. Six of these seats are filled by the Founding Members: California (2 seats); The University of Chicago, University of Iowa, Michigan State University, University of Minnesota, Northwestern University, Ohio State University, Pennsylvania State University, Purdue University and University of Wisconsin-Madison (2 seats); Indiana University (1 seat) and the University of Michigan (1 seat). Six seats are to be filled through elections of the voting members of HathiTrust. Individuals from Founding Member institutions may not be on the ballot for rotating seats. In addition to the 12 elected and appointed members, the Chief Executive Officer serves as a non-voting member of the Board of Governors.
Lengths of Terms
Candidates are elected for three-year terms. A special election was held in 2012, when the membership elected six members to staggered seats of three, four, and five years. New elections will take place beginning in 2015, using the same methods as the 2012 election, when the three-year terms expire. Should a Board member leave his or her administrative post (e.g., retire as a university librarian) there will be a special election, using the same rules as the election of 2012, to fill the remainder of the term.
- John Butler (University of Minnesota) ex officio, Program Steering Committee Chair
- John Culshaw (University of Iowa)
- Mike Furlough (HathiTrust) ex officio
- James Hilton (University of Michigan)
- Anne Kenney (Cornell University)
- Wendy Lougee (University of Minnesota)
- Joe Lucia (Temple University)
- Beth McNeil (Iowa State University)
- Brian Schottlaender (University of California, San Diego)
- Kevin Smith (University of Kansas)
- Winston Tabb (Johns Hopkins University)
- Sarah Thomas (Harvard University)
- Günter Waibel (California Digital Library)
- Carolyn Walters (Indiana University)
- Betsy Wilson (University of Washington)
- Wendy Lougee (Chair)
- Betsy Wilson (Past Chair)
- John Culshaw (Incoming chair/Treasurer)
- John Butler (Chair of Program Steering Committee) ex officio
- Mike Furlough (HathiTrust) ex officio
Terms (Elected terms beginning January 2013)
Executive Committee officers (1-year term per office)
Betsy Wilson (U. of Washington)
Anne Kenney (Cornell University)
Winston Tabb (Johns Hopkins University)
Kevin Smith (University of Kansas)
Sarah Thomas (Harvard University)
1 3/4 years
Beth McNeil (Iowa State University)
Joe Lucia (Temple University)
Appointed by Founding Members
James Hilton (University of Michigan)
John Culshaw (University of Iowa/CIC)
Günter Waibel (CDL/UC)
Wendy Lougee (U. of Minnesota/CIC)
Brian Schottlaender (UC, San Diego/UC)
|Carolyn Walters (Indiana University)|
|Chief Executive Officer|
|Mike Furlough (non-voting member of Board, Executive Committee, and PSC)|
|John Butler (non-voting member)||2016-2018|
- Indiana University: Brad Wheeler (Apr 2012-May 2014), Brenda Johnson (May-Dec 2014)
- University of Maryland: Pat Steele (Apr 2012-Dec 2014)
- University of Michigan: Paul Courant (Executive Committee Past Chair, Apr 2012-Dec 2013)
- California Digital Library: Laine Farley (Apr 2012-February 2015)
- Ohio State University: Carol Diedrichs (Jan 2015-Dec 2015)
- New York University: Carol Mandel (Jan 2013-Dec 2015)
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill: Sarah Michalak (Executive Committee Past Chair, Jan 2013-Dec 2015)
- Columbia University: Robert Wolven (PSC Chair, 2013-2016)
- University of New Mexico: Richard Clement (Executive Committee Past Chair, Jan 2014-Dec 2016)