Facebook Login unavailable after October 9, 2023
September 11, 2023
- When: leading up to October 9, 2023
- Impacts: Users who log into HathiTrust with Facebook and have built personal collections
On October 9, 2023, Facebook login will be removed from HathiTrust.
Access to personal collections
If you had previously built a personal collection in HathiTrust, you will need to take action now to transfer your collections to another account.
To transfer your collections, you will log in to HathiTrust via Facebook and generate a link that will allow you to recover access to your collections. Then you need to log in with a different account to claim those collections.
Steps to migrate collections:
- Log into HathiTrust with your Facebook account: https://babel.hathitrust.org/Shibboleth.sso/Login?entityID=https://facebook.cirrusidentity.com/gateway
- After logging in, navigate to the list of your personal collections.
- In the left sidebar, find the function to “Transfer Collections.” Click on the transfer button.
- The new screen displays the list of all of your collections that will be transferred. After reviewing or editing the list, select the Next button at the bottom of the dialogue to proceed.
- In the new screen, copy the link that is provided.
- Log out of HathiTrust or open a new private browser.
- Log back into HathiTrust with the account you wish to transfer the collections to.
- After successfully logging in, paste the link that you had copied in Step 5 above into your browser address bar and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
- The new screen prompts you to Review Transfer. Select Next to confirm the transfer.
- After the transfer is complete, select Done.
Important: Do not share your transfer link with anyone unless you want them to take ownership of your collections.
You can also follow these steps to transfer one collection at a time. Instead of starting from the list of all of your collections, open the collection you wish to transfer and follow the process above for that one collection.