Creative Commons Declaration Form
If you are a copyright holder or a representative of a copyright holder of a work in HathiTrust and would like to authorize the work to be opened for full view, the following form enables you to select a Creative Commons license and authorize HathiTrust to release the work.
Instructions for releasing a Work(s) in HathiTrust for which you are the copyright holder or authorized representative:
Download the Creative Commons declaration form.
Please complete all areas of the form:
- On the line Title of the Work(s), please enter sufficient citation to identify the work – usually Title, Author, date/edition. You may attach an additional page or a spreadsheet to list multiple titles if all titles will be licensed under the same Creative Commons license option.
- If sending a spreadsheet of titles it is helpful to include the URL or volume ID for each volume to be opened or the catalog record. The volume ID is present in the URL of the volume in HathiTrust. For instance, in this volume URL, the ID is the bolded portion: http://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015000995467. The catalog record is in the format https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000000005. We can assist in finding the volume ID for single or multiple titles (please email email@example.com).
- Select one option from the Creative Commons licenses. See the second page of the form if you need more information about which license to choose.
- Enter your name, address, and email address.
- Sign and date the form. If the digital signature doesn’t work for you, print the form and sign it manually.
- Troubleshooting digital signatures –
- Try downloading the form instead of completing it within a browser window. Some browsers interfere with the digital signature option.
- Or print the form and sign it manually, then scan it or take a photo.
- Or email us to request that we arrange a signature collection with you through SignNow digital signature service.
Email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you complete a printed copy manually and do not have access to a scanner we will also accept an emailed photograph of the form.
If emailing is not possible, you may mail the form to our office. Be aware that postal mail is slow to reach us because staff are still mostly working from home. Office mail can be delayed by weeks or more.
- Send postal mail to:
1001 North Buhr Building
200 Hill Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Contact our member-led user support team!