Through its contact emails and public interfaces, HathiTrust routinely receives end-user questions and feedback related to its content and services. These include inquiries relating to
- Collection development
- Content Quality
- Deposit of new content
- Re-use of content and linking
- Inter-library loan
- Print on Demand
- Bibliographic and full-text search
- Access to Datasets
- Feature requests and problem reports
In order to efficiently and effectively serve the needs of users, and ensure the highest level of function of HathiTrust services, HathiTrust has charged a multi-institution User Support Working Group.
The User Support Working Group:
- Responds to and ensures ultimate resolution of user inquiries that are received through HathiTrust web interfaces and the HathiTrust contact address. This work is accomplished through the use of a common issue-tracking system.
- Responds to users directly and mediates resolution of problems and issues with contacts at partner institutions where necessary. Initial responses to inquiries are sent within one business day of receipt and resolved as soon as possible thereafter.
- Works closely with other working groups and committees to direct feedback on particular HathiTrust activities, interfaces, and work products (e.g., PageTurner and search interfaces, webinars, press releases, etc.) to the appropriate channels.
Includes a chair and staff from a variety of partner institutions with expertise in reference, technical services, copyright, collections, and other primary areas of user feedback. Most of work of the group will be conducted by email with conference calls scheduled as needed. Members must be professional, representing HathiTrust appropriately to users. Members must be willing and able to respond quickly, and at times immediately, to user inquiries and messages from other working group members. Members must also be diligent about pursuing issues to a conclusion, realizing that some issues may take several weeks or even months to resolve.
Current members include:
- Kent LaCombe (University of California, Riverside)
- M. Constance Fleischer (University of Chicago)
- Jill Wilson (Cornell University)
- Jenn Siegel (Brandeis University)
- Fred Rascoe (Georgia Institute of Technology)
- Michelle Gerry (the Ohio State University)
- Maria Aghazarian (Swarthmore College)
- Robin Desmeules (McGill University)
- Naomi Young (University of Florida)
- Paul C. Heyde (Case Western Reserve University)
- Gary Charbonneau (Indiana University)
- Josh Hadro (New York Public Library)
- Rebecca Culbertson (University of California, San Diego)
- Sharon Domier (University of Massachusetts, Amherst)
- Leigh Billings (University of Michigan)
- Judy Ahronheim (University of Michigan)
- Charlie Heinz (University of Minnesota)
- Daniel Mack (University of Maryland)
- Angelina Zaytsev (HathiTrust - chair)
Reports to the Executive Director, who in turn coordinates with the HathiTrust Board of Governors.
Members are appointed for a minimum 1-year term, with the option to continue.